Steenwerck is a commune in the Nord department in northern France. It is located 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) southwest of Lille.
The town is crossed by the river Deûle, which flows into the Scheldt. The Steenwerck Canal also flows through the town.
The name Steenwerck is of Dutch origin, meaning “stone work”.
The town’s history is marked by its role as a strategic location in the wars between France and the Netherlands. In the 17th century, the town was besieged by the Dutch army.
In the 19th century, the town was an important industrial center, with coal mines and textile factories.
Today, Steenwerck is a quiet town with a population of about 9,000. The town’s economy is based on agriculture and tourism.
Top 5 places to visit near Steenwerck
1. The city of Lille is only a short drive from Steenwerck and is well worth a visit. This charming city is home to a number of historic buildings and museums, as well as a lively cultural scene.
2. The nearby town of Arras is another great option for a day trip. This pretty town is home to the famous Arras Cathedral, as well as a number of other interesting churches and historical buildings.
3. The historic city of Ypres is also located nearby and makes for a great day trip. This city was the site of a number of key battles during World War I, and today is home to a number of memorials and museums.
4. The beaches of the Opal Coast are only a short drive away and make for a great day out. This stretch of coastline is home to a number of pretty towns and villages, as well as some stunning scenery.
5. Finally, the nearby town of Bergues is well worth a visit. This picturesque town is home to a number of pretty buildings and is located on the edge of a beautiful lake.
You may also like to read: ‘s most popular president
Still France’s most popular president: Emmanuel Macron
How to travel to Steenwerck, France?
To reach Steenwerck, France via road, take the A25 motorway from Calais. After approximately 30 minutes, take the exit for Steenwerck. The journey should take around an hour in total.
To reach Steenwerck, France via train, take the Eurostar from London St Pancras International. Change at Lille Europe station onto a local train bound for Steenwerck. The journey should take around 2.5 hours in total.
To reach Steenwerck, France via air, take a flight to Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport. From there, take the RER B train to Gare du Nord. Change onto a local train bound for Steenwerck. The journey should take around 4 hours in total.
Food choices available in Steenwerck, France:
The food in Steenwerck, France is very good. There is a lot of fresh seafood available, as well as meats and vegetables. The famous food in Steenwerck is the seafood. There are many different types of seafood available, and it is all very fresh. The meats are also very good, and there are many different types of vegetables available.
Must shop products in Steenwerck, France:
There are many different types of shopping available in Steenwerck, France. There are stores that sell clothes, shoes, jewelry, and other accessories. There are also stores that sell food, wine, and other items. Steenwerck is famous for its many different types of shops and stores. There is something for everyone in Steenwerck.
Nightlife in Steenwerck, France:
Steenwerck is a commune in the Nord department in northern France. It is located 10 kilometers (6.2 mi) northwest of Lille.
The town is known for its nightlife, with a number of bars and clubs located in the town center. The most famous club in Steenwerck is the Club de L’Oasis, which is located on the outskirts of town.
You may also like to read: Vigneulles-lès-Hattonchâtel: A Little Slice of French Heaven
All you need to know about weather
The weather in Steenwerck, France is mild and rainy. The average rainfall is about 60mm. The temperatures in Steenwerck, France are cool, with an average high of 17 degrees Celsius and an average low of 9 degrees Celsius. The city is famous for its art and architecture.
Planning to visit Steenwerck? Check suitable time of the year:
The best time to visit Steenwerck, France is in the spring or summer. The weather is mild and the days are long, making it ideal for exploring the town and its surroundings. Steenwerck is famous for its picturesque streets and buildings, as well as its many churches and historical monuments. There are also plenty of shops and restaurants to enjoy, making it a great place to visit at any time of year.
Video extra for Steenwerck, France
References and Resources: